HEAT OF THE NIGHT CHICKEN BOWL
In the last Beacon
, we shared a recipe
from Super Green Simple and Lean
by Sally Obermeder and Maha Koraiem.
Sally is co-host of Channel 7’s The Daily Edition, founder of lifestyle blog SWIISH.com and a breast cancer survivor. Her sister, Maha Koraiem, is a certified Health and Nutrition Coach.
Here, Sally and Maha share another of their favourite recipes from the book.
Pick up a copy of Simple and Lean from Kmart, Big W, Target, Myer, David Jones, a good bookstore or shop.swiish.com.
DAIRY FREE // NUT FREE //2109 KJ/504 CAL PER SERVE// SERVES 2
- 2 x 100g skinless
- 62g (½ cup) pearl
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bunch broccolini
- Greek-style yogurt, to serve (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground chilli
- 2 teaspoons Middle Eastern spice blend
- 2 teaspoons rice malt syrup
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Juice of ½ lime (reserve the lime halves after you’ve juiced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pink salt and black pepper
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled but smashed with the back of a knife
- 200g (1⅓ cups) medley cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Pink salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F)
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl, then rub all over the chicken, making sure it’s well coated. Set aside.
- Place the veggies in a roasting tray, drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil, season with a little pink salt and pepper and mix well. Pop the reserved lime halves into the tray as well.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies and roast for 25–30 minutes, until the chicken has cooked through and the juices run clear.
- While the chicken and veggies are in the oven, cook the pearl couscous according to the instructions on the packet.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the roasting dish and leave to rest. Then return the veggies to the oven and turn up the heat to 230°C (450°F). Leave the veggies in the oven for another 8–10 minutes, or until they have nicely caramelised.
- While the veggies are in the oven, quickly blanch the broccolini in a bowl and cut the chicken into 1.5cm slices. Divide the ingredients equally between two bowls add a dollop of yogurt to the
middle of the dish.